‘ta-da’ my sparkly new pencil skirt…

My first ever pencil skirt…

IMG_2301

So finishing this garment had its good and bad points.

I succeeded in my first ever buttonhole attempt…then I got carried away with the lethal seam ripper and took half my waistband off opps!This was my second waistband as I thought the pattern size i had cut wouldn’t fasten around my waist. i have no idea why as the rest of the pattern fit me???

I ‘fixed’ it by cutting a small piece and sewing it onto the waistband, not ideal but it was my only idea other than to cut a whole new waistband.

IMG_2296IMG_2295IMG_2305

My lack of seam allowance knowledge lead me to have a light patch of fabric going down the back of the zip and skirt but I turned it into a it was ‘totally supposed to be there’ feature!

Cost of fabric – £1.50 from a remnant stall at the local market

Zipper – around 80p

Time – this was my first attempt at proper clothing so I would say longer than it should have, major time was spent not knowing what the pattern was talking about (see previous post about basing…)

Will I wear it – maybe to a dinner with the girls… if I wore skirts to work it would be a good office skirt.

Id love to have pretty ‘bloggy’ photos of me wearing said item but for now my beautiful assistant dolly volunteered.

What I think I will do to make it more me is maybe take it up a little maybe to stop it looking a little boxy ill take it in towards the bottom and in a perfect world maybe I wouldn’t have the light grey stripe going down the back of it… but its all a learning curve

Advertisements

Seriously I thought basting was something you did to a turkey…

My first clothing attempt … Burda (8155) skirt.

Falling lucky with the fabric which was found on a remnant stall and purchased for £1 I decided I was feeling brave and I was going to attempt and conquer the pencil skirt pattern which was recommended to me by someone on twitter.

I’m seriously loving the encouragement I get from social networking – I wish these lovely ladies where my neighbours! I would bake them cakes and everything!

So the beginning part…

I decided to trace the pattern, thinking in the future when I am a sewing goddess I could make different sizes for friends and relatives. Tracing the pattern was easier than I expected – some greaseproof paper, weights (house ornaments) a pencil and 30 minutes later I had my pattern pieces.

I started out with good intentions reading the instructions and following them with military precision….then I got to the zip and it may as well have been written in French – as I mention in the blog title I had to baste the zip (cue googling until I found the sewing meaning of the word!) but by this point the damage was done and my oh this is going well I am a sewing genius attitude took a knock! So I made up my own instructions on how to sew a zip! AND it actually looks ok, whoop!

So now I’m onto the final part which is the waistband, I swapped the order of sewing as I felt more comfortable doing something’s first then got around to the others. I discovered a possible problem…the waistband didn’t fit my waist even though I cut it to exact pattern size!!! So I’ve decided to re-cut it to fit me and ‘make it work’ with the rest of the skirt as the skirt fits just fine….for now!

I’m hoping after a little buttonhole googling the skirt will be finished for this weekend!

So fingers crossed the next post is titled – ‘ta-da’ my sparkly new pencil skirt (that I’m actually going to wear) and there is a million pretty pictures to show you all my efforts.

But for now here’s a sneaky peak of ‘work in progress’…

1

Thank you for reading and for all of your lovely comments… I can’t believe I’m on the verge of completing my first piece of clothing when last year I doubted if I could even sew a straight line!